top of page

Great Flinders Football League
& Great Flinders Netball Association

Round 4 Match reports

Great Flinders games went as predicted last week, with all 3 favorites winning across the league. United Yeelanna continued their unbeaten season with a workman like win over Elliston Districts, Lock did what they needed to against Eyre United and in the game of the round Tumby Bay came from behind at 3 quarter time to run over the top of Ramblers.


Tumby Bay travelled to Cummins to take on arch rivals Ramblers in the match of the round with both sides showing solid form leading in this contest. It was a typical low scoring dour affair that the 2 clubs have regularly produced in recent years with scoring from both sides proving difficult all day. Ramblers started the game kicking with the aid of a strong breeze and it wasn’t until the 18 minute mark that the first goal was kicked from Logan Dennis for the home side after Tumby had missed a couple of tough set shots, which was followed up by another from Pedler to get the Magpies off to a solid start. The Blues took advantage of the wind in the second quarter as goals came quickly through Cross and Hartwig who was causing plenty of concern for the Ramblers defenders. James kicked their fourth for the quarter after a strong mark with the Blues taking some control through McLeod and Lawrie in the midfield and Walker was resolute across half back.

The 'never say die' attitude of Ramblers came to the fore in the third quarter with Treloar, Haarsma and Dobbins giving their side plenty to claw their way back in to the contest. The Blues kicked an important goal into the wind to give themselves some breathing space, but when Starke snapped a great goal and then Dobbins kicked truly after being laced out by George Pedler, suddenly the Magpies found themselves in front at 3 quarter time. The last quarter belonged to the Blues and in particular Matt Hartwig who booted 3 last quarter goals to take the game away from Ramblers and steering his side to a 25 point win in the end. It was a great contest between both sides as is often the case and with both sides having some players to return, there won’t be much between them come finals time.


United Yeelanna played host to Elliston Districts in a rematch of last year's Grand Final, but it was a similar result with the Eagles proving too strong and winning by 41 points. The Roosters kicked with the aid of the breeze in the first quarter but it was United Yeelanna’s Spoggy Crettenden who kicked the first goal after a turnover in defence. To their credit Elliston Districts were able to stem the tide and kicked 2 majors of their own to trail by 4 points at the first break. The Eagles asserted some authority early in the second with another goal via Crettenden and Habner extended their lead with a goal from a poor kick in. Tom Gibson responded for the visitors after he got on the end of some good ball movement but this was responded to quickly by the Eagles after some good work from Ricky Skinner and X Watson. Jaxen Norton was repelling everything for the home side but Charlie Gibson and Ross Bascomb were working hard to keep their side in the contest.

The third quarter proved a real arm wrestle with both sides managing just the 1 goal each and the game still alive with United Yeelanna in front by 20 points at the final change. The game was snuffed out early in the last quarter as Crettenden kicked his fourth which was followed up quickly by Maxfield and the Eagles had done enough as they restricted the Roosters to just one point in the last 30 minutes of the contest. Norton was outstanding for the winners, Mitch Jolly tough in and under, Spog Crettenden booted 4 to be the best forward on the day and Maxfield and Sampson were solid contributors. Elliston Districts were best served by Charlie Gibson, Bascomb, Lee and Horgan were all good and Darren Gregory’s experience was important.


An undefeated Lock side travelled to Ungarra minus some key personnel to take on the winless Saints and came away with a comfortable 69 point win albeit not getting it all their own way. The Roo’s opened proceedings after 5 minutes via a goal from Cain Reynolds which was quickly followed by another to Ryan Siebert, but the highlight of the quarter was a magnificent snap from Morton that gave his side a 25 point lead at quarter time.

Eyre United had opportunities but just couldn’t hit the scoreboard against a discipline Lock defence. Kobe Vlassco set the tone early for his side as Eyre United produced their best quarter of footy for the year in an even contest which saw both sides kicked 3 goals for the term with youngsters Will Turner and Ethan Pugsley showing some great form for the home side.

The Roo’s came out after half time a completely different outfit piling on 6 unanswered goals while keeping Eyre United scoreless for the quarter to put the game to bed. Siebert and Hetzel were proving a handful up forward and Morton was a bull in the midfield as they took complete control of the contest. The Saints responded strongly in the last and kept battling hard in a pleasing sign as they restricted Lock to 3 goals and kicked 2 themselves via Vlassco who kicked his third for the game. It was a solid win for a depleted Lock outfit, but Eyre United would have been buoyed by a bold showing and the form of Ethan Pugsley, Turner and Vlassco who all had good games, and Luke Forrest, Webb and Boehm all battled hard. For the winners none were better than Guy Morton, Kelly, Zeik Kay and Crosby all impressive and Sibert was lively up forward booting a game high 6 goals.

150 views0 comments


bottom of page