top of page

Great Flinders Football League
& Great Flinders Netball Association

Round 16 Match reports

The final four is now settled in Great Flinders footy with Ramblers stitching up fourth spot with a solid win over Elliston Districts, Tumby Bay overcame a plucky Cougars side, and United Yeelanna won comfortably against Eyre United to continue their unbeaten season.

Tumby Bay travelled to Kapinnie to take on Cougars who were celebrating a number of premiership reunions, most noticeably David “Lunch” Doudle who was wearing his original premiership socks for the occasion and reminding anybody who wanted to listen of his premiership heroics. It was a great occasion for the old faithful and they would not have been disappointed in what their side produced in the first half to take the game right up to their more fancied opponents. Their second quarter in particular was outstanding restricting Tumby Bay to just 2 points and if not for inaccuracy in front of goal, they should have gone in to half time in front. Jay and Jack Green were finding plenty of it and Phelps was resolute across half back. Walker and Miller were keeping Tumby’s noses in front, but their midfield was found wanting in the first half. After a bit of a rev up, the blues came out firing in the third quarter as McLeod dominated the middle of the ground and the McDonald twins started to impact the game strongly as they piled on 6 goals to nothing to take a 45 point lead in to the last change. Cougars lifted again in the last and continued to play with plenty of tenacity, but in the end they were simply outclassed by a better and more experienced side who in all fairness were missing some key personnel. Joe Walker was outstanding again, McLeod worked in to the game strongly, Miller good again and Jack and Tom McDonald are both developing in to excellent players and having a real impact on games. For Cougars, Phelps led by example, the Green boys worked tirelessly and Wright, Brown-Baldock and Puckridge all had good moments.

Ramblers hosted Elliston Districts in fine conditions and it was the Magpies who prevailed with a comfortable 48 point win. They opened the game strongly with Will Haarsma, Jake skinner, and Jimmy Richardson getting their side off to a flyer with the first three goals of the game. Veteran Darren Gregory was able to respond early in the second for the visitors with a long set shot from 50, but not to be outdone Will Haarsma, who was finding the ball with ease, kicked his second to give his side some breathing space. George Pedler showed some class to mark strongly and convert putting Ramblers in front by 36 points at the main break. The Roosters needed to respond hard early in the third, but it was Ramblers who stood tall kicking an early goal through Tom Crettenden which was followed by another from Richardson to extend their lead to 8 goals. Shepperd pegged one back for the visitors, but Ramblers were dominating play around the ground to lead by 42 points at the final change. The final quarter developed in to a bit of an arm wrestle with the sting gone out of the game, but Darcy Claughton provided a highlight with a brilliant snapped goal from the boundary to ignite the crowd. It was a solid win from the Magpies in the end as they now turn their focus to a first semi final showdown against Lock in a fortnight. Will Haarsma did his mail medal chances no harm with yet another BOG performance, Modra, Dobbins and Bullard all played well and Jacob Parsons and Michael Franklin made valuable contributions. For the Roosters Tom Lee battled hard all game, Gibson, King-O’Loughlin, Rosalia, Kelsh and Matt Williams were also good players throughout the game.

In the final game it was top of the table United Yeelanna who accounted comfortably for Eyre United at Ungarra winning by a big margin to the tune of 100 points. The Eagles set the tone early with a dominant 6 goal first quarter after a tight opening as Bryce Breed looked sharp up forward kicking 3 goals from his own boot. Max Baldiserra kicked the Saints only goal for the quarter after some brilliant delivery from youngster Fatchen. United Yeelanna started the second quarter strongly and were dominating the centre square with Breed taking his tally to 5 kicking the first 2 of the quarter. They were simply too slick for the home side as Crettenden and Maxfield took control and their defence was impassable despite some strong efforts from the Saints. The home side lifted strongly after half time and the move of Isaac Telfer on to Breed was a good one and they had lifted across the ground to match it with their opponents allowing for an even quarter where both sides kicked 2 goals. They were winning their fair share of the ball and worked tirelessly to restrict the clean ball movement of the Eagles. They were able to continue this pressure in the last as well in what was a bold second half showing from Eyre United, but in the end the damage was done early and the Eagles did what they needed to throughout the game. Maxfield and Michael Crettenden were outstanding for the winners, Breed, Murnane and Watson solid and Casey Carr is working his way back in to football nicely since returning. For the home side Ethan Pugsley was excellent, Fatchen, Butler, Masson and Stratford all impressive and Max Baldiserra had an impact on the game at times up forward and on ball.

502 views0 comments


bottom of page