top of page

Great Flinders Football League
& Great Flinders Netball Association

Round 9 Summary

Eyre United produced their best performance of the year to match it with United Yeelanna for 3 quarters but were overpowered in the end by an experienced Eagles outfit, a Travis Beard led Lock scored an important win against Ramblers, while at Tumby Bay Cougars stormed home against the Blues to win their second game on the trot and put themselves closely in touch with the top four.

Eyre United produced what would be best described as a plucky performance against United Yeelanna at Karkoo which saw the Saints get off to a flyer on the back of some Kingsley Ware magic who booted 3 off his own boot in the first quarter to have his side up and about and leading the premiership favourites by 23 points at quarter time. The home side kicked in to gear in the second as they piled on 5 goals led by Martin and Watson in the midfield and could have been further in front at half time if not for some inaccurate kicking on goal. The third quarter became somewhat of an arm wrestle with both sides finding it tough to kick goals but Eyre United had given themselves an opportunity to score an upset win entering the final quarter trailing by 20 points. As good sides do though, the Eagles kicked in to gear to step it up a notch piling on 5 unanswered goals in the final 30 minutes as the experience of Xavier Watson, Mick and Spog Cretty and an in-form Brayden Martin took complete control. They certainly didn’t get it all their own way as the Saints put up a bold showing against a much stronger opponent. Watson was outstanding for the home side, Plugger Crettenden dangerous across the ground and booting 4 goals, while Norton, Breed, Martin and Conlan all made valuable contributions. For the Saints, none were better than Raheem Betts, youngster Stratford gave his all, and Webb, Butler, Ware, (4 goals) and Foster all having good moments.

Lock scored an impressive win against fellow finals contender Ramblers at Cummins with Travis Beard being the difference booting 7 goals in a classy display up forward. He was on fire early in the game booting 4 first quarter goals as the Roo’s looked sharp and Ramblers had no answers to the Roo’s onslaught. Quarter time came at a good time for Ramblers, they were able to reset and despite an early major from Northcott, they gradually worked themselves back in to the contes to kick 3 on the trot through some great work from Kingsley Bilney and Ethan Langley who were finding plenty of it and both able to hit the scoreboard. Ramblers opened proceeding early in the third with a goal from Rule to bring it back under 2 goals, but Lock were able to respond strongly with 3 quick majors via Beard, Northcott and a long bomb from Morton to kick them out to a 31-point lead. Langley bought the game back again with 2 quick goals, but it was Beard again who responded to kick his 7th to give his side a comfortable lead at the final change. Ramblers gave themselves plenty of opportunity in the last but 3.8 for the quarter saw them waste some opportunities to get back into the game, and Lock were able to steady the ship with 2 majors for the quarter to run out deserved 23-point winners in the end. Travis Beard was a clear standout as Best on Ground, George and Hetzel were up and about and Morton, Pearce and Crosby all worked tirelessly for their side. For the Magpies it was Will Haarsma again who stood up along with the classy Kinglsey Bilney, while Langley was dangerous all day booting 3 goals and Rule and Treloar both had positive influences.

At Tumby Bay it was Cougars who came out on top in what was built up as a “4” point game with both sides desperate for the win to keep their finals aspirations on track. Cougars started kicking in to a 3-goal breeze and looked sharp early as Wagner booted 2 early goals to have his side up and about. From that point on though it was all Tumby Bay as they piled on 5 goals through some brilliant work by youngster Oz Richardson kicking 2 himself, and their defence had tightened up with Kelly and Miller doing some good work in the back half. Cougars started strongly in the second quarter with Thomas 'Popeye' Phelps having a major influence on the game across half forward and at the other end Dyl Wandner was marking everything that came his way. Their midfield was on top, and Brad Hazelgrove playing his first game of the year took the game by the scruff when he was moved forward after Wagner went off injured to become a dangerous option up forward booting 2 quick goals. They kept the Blues scoreless for the quarter in an impressive display while booting 5 themselves to lead by 15 points at half time. They were again outstanding defensively in the third keeping Tumby Bay to just 1 point when they kicked with the aid of the breeze with Wandner and Scott impassable across half back, while Green and Flynn Paech were finding plenty of the ball in the midfield to set up a further 2 majors for the visitors. The final quarter was much of the same, as they effectively put the game to bed early in the last on the back of another Hazelgrove goal as they went from strength to strength and growing in confidence. Tumby Bay were able to score a late consolation goal through Belt, but it was little too late as the final siren sounded giving Cougars an impressive 42 point win. Wandner and Phelps dominated in the air all day, Green was outstanding in the middle and Flynn Paech found plenty of the ball and bobbed up with 2 goals. For the Blues there were few highlights, but youngster Oz Richardson was clearly their best player in another impressive display, Kelly battled hard, and Whitelaw and Miller had strong second halves. It was an impressive performance from Cougars who have put themselves back in the race and with some important players du back in the coming weeks one senses they will still have a strong say in season 2022.

130 views0 comments


bottom of page