top of page

Great Flinders Football League
& Great Flinders Netball Association

Roos lose to Blues in a nail biter

Lock hosted Tumby Bay in a nail biter on the Roo’s home deck in warm conditions, but it was the Blues who came out victors to finish strongly and win by just 3 points.

The game started in tight fashion as neither side could gain any ascendancy but it was Kay who opened the scoring to kick a major for his side, but Tumby Bay through James in the ruck and midfielders Mitch Lawrie and Kieran Fair were able to respond as they took control of the game and the Blues piled on 4 goals to take a handy 17 point break in to quarter time.

The game took a complete turnaround in the second as Lock took control in the midfield and Travis and Aaron Beard began to influence the game up forward as they put Tumby’s defence under plenty of pressure. Inaccurate kicking for goal hurt them dearly as they missed some easy set shots but they had lifted strongly across the ground and Heath was leading a water tight defence that made scoring difficult for the Blues. The home side kicked 4.6 for the quarter but Tumby Bay managed to kick a couple of late majors to bring themselves back within 1 point at the main break.

The third quarter was a real arm wrestle with just 1 goal kicked for the entire quarter, as once again Lock missed opportunities in front of goal managing just 1.4 for the quarter, but their defence was again outstanding restricting Tumby to just 4 points. James was having plenty of influence across the ground with his height causing Lock plenty of concern while the run and carry of Ryan Siebert was giving his forwards plenty of opportunity. Lock led by 7 points heading in to the final quarter but it was the Blues who had early control to kick the first 3 majors and take control of the game. Their younger players had lifted in particular Hudson Franks who kicked the goal of the day on the run and was giving his side plenty, and Richardson and Higgins had also lifted to give them plenty of run while Fair and Lawrie continued to be strong in and under the contest. Lock however were not prepared to lay down as Siebert, Heath and Kay worked overtime to keep them in the contest. With just a minute to go Zeik Kay had an opportunity from a set shot to put his side back in front from a difficult angle, and it was the Blues who held on to win a tightly fought contest by just 3 points.

James, Lawrie and Fair were all excellent players for the visitors, and youngsters Franks, Richardson and Higgins impressive particularly in the second half providing plenty of run and carry.

Ryan Siebert was best on ground with an impressive 4 quarter performance, Morton strong in the midfield and the Heath boys, Reynolds, Hetzel and Slape all having moments to keep their side alive.

105 views0 comments


bottom of page